Saturday, January 23, 2010

Western Wallop Complete and boy what a DOOZY!

OK, so here they are...PICS of the BIG ONE. The Western Wallop as they called it on Ye Old Weather Channel.

They were a little off on the snow levels. Of course we live about 300 feet higher than most of Flagstaff, but when they would report "another foot to 18 inches today" it would be double that amount. It was crazy.

I heard today that this was the Second biggest storm in our town's history. Second only to the Big One of '67.


Photo of my beloved Joanne Fabrics and Bookman's Bookstore.
Unfortunately they are reporting a couple dozen building collapses, one in particular that breaks my heart...my beloved Joanne Fabrics...wiped out. As well as Bookman's Bookstore, which they had just finished remodeling. But luckily it seems that most Flagstaffian's are safe and sound with no reports of major injury's due to the building collapses.
The inside of Bookman's Book Store.

We had a little Collapse of our own happen. A VERY scary story which I will blog about in the next posting. We are all OK.

So we think the storm is over. 5 days, Power Outages, Cooking on our wood stove like pioneers, cabin fever, and next on the agenda... a trip south to the valley for a little warm up. Wet warm up but better than freezing here in Flag.


In the picture of the Top Left the tree directly behind Me and Liv's head is a 10-11 foot Spruce. This would be the top of our super incredible sledding ramp.

Bottom left is out our dining room window. You can barely see our fence poking out and the girls trampoline and playground are covered.
Bottom Right is our back porch. That snow drift just is about 6 inches below our porch.


A little snow play in the middle of the storm. We were going nuts by this point. That is the back of our house.
After a fun time outside we hunkered down and drank lots of Ginger Peach Tea.

We were prepared with snow clothes ready, Candles, Flashlights, Water (when our power goes out so does our water.) And of course giant vats of Lasagna, every kind of comfort food you can think of and Yellow Cake with Fudge frosting because of course nothing gets you through a storm like CAKE! I have gained roughly 5lbs because all we did was eat endlessly.


These guys did great under the circumstances. Lot's of books, movies (when the power was on), and loads of silliness and delirium.

Two things in closing....


Conan...What a champ. I ADORE Conan. And boy did he go out with class, dignity and humor last night. I can't wait to see where he ends up in 7 months. If you have ever met Jay Leno in person, not only does he have a big chin, but a huge head...and now we know, in more ways than one. (I'm definitly not as classy as Conan with that jab).
I'll stick with Letterman Thanks.


And last, yes I know it's Super Susie Saturday. I am bound and determined to post my 52 Random - Number 4 before this day is over. It may be late in the night, but I'll get it out TODAY!

Happy Saturday Everyone.

4 comments:

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

Holy Cow!!!!!! That snow is amazing!!!! How fun to get to have lived through that storm - your grandchildren will love hearing all about it!!! It's cold here too in the valley but nothing like that!!! Did I saw WOW?! You are a trooper♥

Angie said...

That's A LOT of snow!!! I can't believe how bad the stores were damaged?! We finally had some sunshine today- But more rain to come..

Flagmom said...

Great pictures! Lots of snow. I am glad our power didn't go out!!! I didn't know Bookmann's and JoAnn's looked that terrible!

Tami N said...

Looks like you've made it through the crazy storm! Let me know if you head down this way...our Joann Fabrics (and other fabric goodness stores) are fine! Miss you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails