Wednesday, January 27, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...OK..Vegetables.

OK so although Chips and Salsa are not actually a vegetable...By Default they make my list...Tomato's People!

My Current addiction - This amazing fresh made HOT salsa along with my fave Black Corn Chips. YUM. Now on to the real deal..




And on to the subject of veggies. One of our fave things to eat around here, especially in the chilly months is roasted veggies.

My fave - Beets, Carrots, Onions and Loads of whole Garlic. (And yes, with all that garlic, your beloved husband may keep you up all night, gosh quite frankly you might keep yourself up all night if you catch my drift, but worth it for the sweet roasted garlicky goodness that is sure to keep all sick bugs and vampires at bay).



I even love Beets on Burgers...that's right you heard me.

In our cute, little town we have a fantastic Burger Joint called Diablo Burger. Besides using only natural grass fed beef, organic Veggies, making everything fresh on the spot, and serving all of their deliciousness in Eco Friendly, totally recyclable materials, (oh and they compost too), they make the most wonderful Burger called the Vitamin B.

The Vitamin B consists of this:

Toasted English Muffin, slathered with Pesto Mayo, topped with the delish burger patty, stacked with Blue Cheese, Organic Greens, Tomato, Bacon and of course some beets. Sounds kinda crazy but it will knock your Uggs right off your feet.

Add to that their homemade, handcut Rosemary Herby French Fry's and a Strauss Farm Creamery Milkshake...and well...you have died and gone to Burger Heaven.

Can you tell we went there tonight for Dinner? I would have taken a picture but by the time I remembered I was knee deep and dripping with my Burger's Beety Goodness.

Back to Beets: Funny thing about Beets...You either Loathe them Or Love Them. Miss. Flower Patch Farmgirl said in her Blog, "Never trust someone who doesn't like Beets" or some such enlightening comment. Sing it out Sister!

How about this amazing photo below...Beautiful. This will be the summer that I try to grow my own beets.

Alright, enough about Beets.

And on to another Veg that gets zero respect and is loathed worldwide by little children everywhere....

My beloved Brussel Sprout.
C'mon who doesn't Love these beauties? (This may be where I get 2oo comments. )



Toss these with your favorite roasting oils and crunchy kosher salts and roast in your oven and you have one tasty side dish on your hands.
The crispy leaves (almost burnt really) taste like crispy, salty chips. The inner tenderness like an Arti Heart.
I can't get enough of these.

So we had them with Dinner last night. Skirt Steak, Roasted Brussels, Puree'd Winter Squash, and some Leftover Stuffing. It was so delish, Until...the whining... I had 1 child who refused to eat them and 1 baby who stealthily could fish them out of her chubby cheeks even though I hid them so well in her stuffing.

In our home, like many homes it's "try it once, if you TRULY don't like it that's fine." I don't like force feeding and I'm not a Clean Your Plate kind of Mom but on this night I couldn't fathom that Livi TRULY didn't like these. Seriously child...did you not come from my womb after all?

Call me crazy, mean, clueless, heartless, but I MADE her eat some. She tried one, proclaimed her dislike for them, and then I laid down the gauntlet..."You must eat 3 before being excused". Mean Mommy.
She ate them fast while drinking loads of water in between so I was happy.
Vitamins and Hydration, just the combo I was looking for.

I implore you, good people of Bloggy Land, Roast Your Veggies. Beets and Brussel Sprouts are your friend. Your stomach will Thank You.



And don't even get me started on my most beloved ARUGULA. Let's put it this way, if all of the Arugula in the world magically went away forever, I may just shrivel up and die. Yes, that's how much I love Arugula. :)

What's your fave Veggie Fix and how do you cook them?
Happy Wednesday Ya'll.

6 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVE the veggies! All of 'em. Although I have to admit here...I have never roasted my own beets. Say it ain't so! (yep.) Any tips for me? I need to try it - asap!

Lin said...

I Love beets and quite frankly sissy, you are only the 2nd person I know that likes beets! I could eat beets every single day! I love beets with a little blue cheese dressing on top!

Love brussel sprouts. The teen hates them, the toddler loves them! I can get the toddler to try just about any veggie or fruit, the teen, not so much.

I also really loved steamed zuchinni, green or yellow with a little salt, pepper and parmesan on top.

I also LOVE parsnips! At Christmas, I cut them in chunks, drizzle melted butter over them, salt and any other spice you'd like then bake them! YUMMMM!

And who doesn't like yams? The kind with the mini marshmellows on them? They are my fav. They reminde me of holidays with my grandmother so bad.

Farmgirl Paints said...

Not a fan of beets and I know they are so good for you.

My fav is asparagus. I just sprinkle it with olive oil, sea salt and pepper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes...yummy:)

Aubrey said...

love the veggies!! YUM!!! and chips and salsa is like my favorite food group (other than cheese ;))

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

can you come cook for me?

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

Oh I forgot to list my favs, zucchini - grilled, artichokes, green bell peppers - I eat them like an apple, cucumbers, green onions - on everything, minestrone soup cause it's got it all baby!

Related Posts with Thumbnails