So my 5 year old is so...as she would say...unique. Not the typical little girl. And I say this not to label her just to say she is so wonderfully her own person. Not a conformist.
This last weekend we went to our friend "Little Olivia's" 4Th Birthday Party. It was a Disney Princess Party and c'mon what little girl age 3 and up doesn't know who the Disney Princesses are?......Well, that would be my child. Olivia still hasn't seen any of the Disney Princess Movies. I have tried to get her to watch the Little Mermaid and Cinderella. We got through the first 5 minutes of The Little Mermaid and she lost interest and she got halfway through Cinderella to the part where the evil stepsisters ripped apart Cinderellas dress to shreds. Needless to say, she was upset and couldn't understand why someone would do that and the questions went on and on and on...it just wasn't worth it.
Honestly I must say that I am happy that she doesn't show any interest in that stuff. She really loves her pretend Kitty's and stuffed raccoons, chipmunks, and skunk...like I said, unique.
Getting back to the party one of our Mommy friends dressed up in complete Snow White regalia and surprised all the girls by showing up at the party. Their were many oohs and ahhs and squeals of delight. My child on the other hand looked confused as I kept telling her who it was.
So here was the conversation at and after the party.
Snow White shows up:
Olivia: Who is that Lady?
Mom: Snow White.
Olivia: Who is that?
Mom: She is a Disney Princess.
Olivia: Well, I don't like that Lady.
Mom: Well she's handing out candy bracelets.
Olivia: ........ran off to get one from the lady she dislikes.
Then we get in the car:
Olivia: Mommy who was that Princess? Was her name Aurora?
Mom: No Olivia that is Sleeping Beauty's name (which she saw for 5 minutes at the Doctors office.)
Olivia: OOOHHHH....is she the one with the tiger?
Mom: No that's Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. (which we made her watch because it was playing outside on the Square last summer.)
I love my little unique, creative, artistic with a dash of quirk, sweet girl.
Boo on the Princesses. :)
And finally here is a quick post of her at Suzuki Group Violin. Before you press play don't forget to pause the "player" so the music doesn't conflict with the sound of the recorder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Impressive! Cassidy's preschool teacher wanted me to put her in that class since she has perfect pitch. My unique little princess was having nothing to do with it. So sad! I loved this post and a personality is much better than any ol' princesses!
this is exactly why I love Livi. I love that she's herself. I hope she always has the courage to stay just that way!! Boo on princesses is right!
Post a Comment