Friday, February 19, 2010

It's Official...Abby has graduated from Milkaholics Anonymous

That's right...we are at 8 full days with no "Num-Nums". Abby is well on her way to completing her 12 step weaning program.
Step 12...to get the kid to stop waking up every 2 hours. Any advice?
Let me rephrase that... Any advice that doesn't involve baby wising, crying it out and still allowing her to co-sleep? Anyone, Anyone?


This has been a long battle. I never expected to be nursing until 2. This was not my intention but, it is what it is, and now it's done. Nothing last forever.
Nursing until 1 is always what I strive for but this kid was like a little piranha. It seemed she latched on the minute she came out and would never let go.
Yes, Mommy became the pacifier. And I was OK with that....




Until about 9 days ago when she was having her usual all night nursing marathon, the "twins" were in agony being tugged on in every direction possible... I had had it.
I woke up Matt at 3:27 to be exact and did the pass off and that was that.
I was done and ready to do this...Really do this.


Nursing is a funny thing. It's such an amazing connection between you and your little one. It's comforting for them and for you. You are proud that you can do it and that they are getting all of the immune boosters that nursing offers (or so they say) and convenient. All that said, it's exhausting at times, thirst and hunger inducing for some, a big energy suck (literally) and in my experience as they get older it can get painful (teeth, tugging to look at everything while still attached to the milk jugs), it's a rewarding but funny thing.


Now I put Matt through countless tries at weaning. 4 rounds to be exact. He graciously would stay up all night with a screaming and sometimes puking toddler. One stretch was 7 or 8 days but I would kabash it by giving in every morning. We were running in place for sure. He was frustrated, Abby was for lack of a better term pissed and I was confused. So here was the deal...


I wasn't ready. Plain and simple. I thought I was those 4 tries but I really wasn't. I was internally questioning everything. Will this be the last baby, the last time nursing etc and so on. Also, I think deep down the guilt was placed firmly in my Mommy heart as I had to get a part time job when Abby was 8 months old. That was tough. I was 100% SAHM with Olivia until she was 4 and change but poor Abs being the 2ND and my time split many ways was not to get 100%. Guilt. Guilt. Guilt. And yes, I know I'm a sensitive soul. This is not a news flash.


But alas, the time had come and here we are 8 days later. And the hormones are settling, the weepiness has subsided, the life boats have deflated and I am no longer in physical or emotional pain. I did my part for this little one to the best of my patience and ability.
The bar is closed.
Welcome to the land of sippy cups my friend.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Awww this post made me laugh and a little sad too. It's funny how you forget certain things from when they were little ones. Reading your posts made me remember all those feelings of guilt and PAIN!! Both my kids started teething early!! As for the sleeping through the night and no co sleeping- your on your own there sister!! Youngest is almost 9 and still having issues! :(

Shannan Martin said...

Love your "the bar is closed" line. :) Well, I'll state the obvious - I'm no help with this one. And to make matters worse, I was a Baby-wiser. (Did we just find the limits to our soul-sisterness??!) I guess the only advice I can give is, Trust yourself. Whatever that means. I've found it to be true time and time again, in many different situations. And hooray for 8 days!!

Lin said...

I wish I could have breast fed Denali that long. I get the emotional connection and miss it. Denali reminds me frequently, especially when i'm nekked, that she used to get milk out of mama's boo boos. Yep! Glad to hear Abba has transitioned. Maybe the booby fairy can leave her something special in the mail box to show her she is such a big girl for going to the sippy cup? We did this with the binky fairy and it works wonders.

As for Abba sleeping all night, both my girls were given graham cracker soaked in milk right before teeth are brushed and bed time starts. Helped them both sleep right through! The pediatrician told me to do that for both of them. Rice with milk, sugar and cinnamon would also work cuz the rice expands in their stomach sending the signal to the brain that they are full. Trust me, you'll be seeing a full nights sleep with Abba in no time! Let me know how it all works out!
Love you,
L

Aubrey said...

omg.. she is So cute!!! i love the newborny pics... really makes me miss those days.. not sure why?? i will live vicariously through you and your #3. congrats on 8 days!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails