Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Do you speak baby? I do.

I am proud to say I speak "baby" fluently. I have had this gift since I was a child. I used to babysit my much younger sisters when they were babies. Maybe this is where I honed my baby talk skills.

This is not a "braggy" post (ok it kind of is).

It's quite helpful to speak fluent baby when the wee ones are learning to talk to keep the frustration level down.
I'm sure most Mom's hold this gift. And isn't amazing as Mommy's we have this built in translator?  I love it.

Like most Mama's I can understand my my own kids perfectly but I am also fairly good with other's babies as well.
I was at the mall playgroung awhile back and was watching this Mommy with her little baby girl. They were both so frustrated. The baby was saying "I'd daw tee, I'd daw tee" over and over. The Mom couldn't get it. I felt so bad for the both of them. She was saying "Slide Down Tree" (their is a tree slide at our mall playground). I heard it so perfectly and wanted to tell the Mom but of course I didn't. She finally got it with alot of pointing. I should hold a class. :) I kid.

Olivia is also really good at deciphering baby talk too. She'll be a great little Mommy some day.
When the girls are home alone with Daddy, Matt sometimes has to ask Olivia what Abby is saying. It's so cute to me.

How could he not know that "Nip-Nunk" is Chipmunk? I mean c'mon. ;)
And that "Ah Yuv Dooties" is I Love Cookies.
Or how about "Wat Baby Dan Doh?" is Watch Baby Van Gogh.

Some other Abby-ism's. She calls her Sister "Ah Wah" for Olivia although she is starting to now say "O-yee-ya" which is closer. It really melts me when I listen to her talking to her sister.
Now Olivia used to call her own little self "Wah Yay".
Abby says "Putah" for computer where as Olivia used to call it the "Haw Too Lah"

I absolutely love listening to how kids form words when they start talking. Abby's got a huge Vocabulary for not being 2 yet. She can count to 15 and sing her ABC's. She can carry a tune quite well too (Daddy's singin' gene).

She just said to me "Mommy yook at duh delly fish" - Mommy look at the jelly fish. To the untrained ear she speaks baby talk but to her Mom she is a full fledged talking machine that can articulate in full sentences everything she needs or wants. It's quite awesome really.

Abby is a little Mockingbird for sure and her speaking skills are so great and her memory also so good that last night at the dinner table she started reciting a little line that she heard her sister saying in the car the day before...
And it goes something like this... "Hi, I poo poo" "Hi, I Pee Pee" over and over again.
These words she says clear as a bell. Thanks Olivia.

And while I'm on the subject what is it with kids and the potty talk at age 5? Anything to do with  Poo or Pee is hysterical to Livi. She loves talking about it, singing about it, making any reference to it in regards to her Mom and Dad. Example" Mommy your poopy is so glittery and Daddy yours is so sparkly and stinky" Followed by this little psychotic laugh. ?????? I suppose it's the age. We try to ignore it most of the time unless it's out in public or at the dinner table. Quite frankly Matt and I are usually trying to hide our laughter...I know we're super mature.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do and this little phase will pass. The more we reprimand her on it the more she does it. Isn't that so like a 5 year old. :)

See this book. I have read it to Abby 3,127 times, Her Daddy has read it too her 2,795 times, Her sister has read it to her 149 times. The book is falling apart and quite frankly I'm kind of excited about that. The little book worm thing is wonderful, awesome, incredible. Ok, but I'm so tired of reading this book. On some days...after the 5 time of reading it...
I hide it.
I know...what a terrible Mother! ;)

P.S. Seriously someone needs to tell me where to find the spell check on this new Post Editor. Driving me nuts!

3 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

Those "word" books are the WORST to read! I sometimes beg off, saying, "That's not really a reading book". I mean, maybe when you were 1 it was, but I'm pretty sure that as a 3 or 4 year old, you can "read" that one to yourself! Bad Mommy. I know. :)

Tami N said...

Kendall has also been a very good decipher of baby talk...big sisters are the best!! Did you ever find the goat puppet? Here it is for $9.99

http://www.babydiaperplus.com/content-product_info/product_id-1307/goat_puppet.html

Hope all is well...

Angie said...

HA!!! This is great! Sorry to break it to you but the never grow out of thinking it's hilarious. It just stops being "cute" and becomes disgusting! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails