Today is Saturday and I feel relief as we go into a new week.
So in review here it is:
Sunday, Sooz not feeling well. The typical morning "hack" that I always have is getting painful. A very dry, forced cough. My lungs hurt.
Monday, off to Urgent Care where the diagnosis is basically "Flagsaff-itis".
I am allergic to everything here, Yellow Sunflowers, Pine Trees, Pretty much all flora of Flagstaff, which has turned into...Bronchitis...again. :(
Tuesday, The blood sucking drug companies have us in quite a strong hold. Zithromax and daily Zyrtec and in 2 weeks, a breathing check and possibly a lung x-ray. (Seriously people, I love Flagstaff but I am truly meant for Central Cal Coast living. Less sickness and allergies and more MOISTURE!)
Wednesday, Thank goodness nothing out of the ordinary today. Liv off to school. Abby playing. Trying to catch up on chores and work. Olivia has her first loose tooth! I cried a little bit as it's her first little baby tooth that ever came in (yes, I know, I'm super sensitive. ) Matt got a little misty too! :)
Wednesday, Thank goodness nothing out of the ordinary today. Liv off to school. Abby playing. Trying to catch up on chores and work. Olivia has her first loose tooth! I cried a little bit as it's her first little baby tooth that ever came in (yes, I know, I'm super sensitive. ) Matt got a little misty too! :)
A strange odor still permeates my house. Gross! Can't figure it out. An old sandwich perhaps stuffed in a toy bin? I have searched with no luck.
Thursday, The absolute scariest day of our lives. Alert...dramatic story ahead..Abby wakes up, abnormally late at 8:30 and can't move. She is laying in bed asking me to pick her up and she is not moving her head or her torso at all. I pick her up, screams and crying in pain. Body rigid, head stiff. Nothing moving but her arms and legs. Rush to the Doctor, 2 hours there. Down to X-rays, no tumors in her spine or neck, no breaks either, Whew, but still not moving. Couldn't even sit up or walk. Matt and I in panic mode but trying to hold it together. All of her reflexes in her legs and arms are good but her neck is TIGHT and Hard. As a Mom thinking the worst things, Meningitis, MS, MD M whatever...just scared at this point. They send us home with an appointment to the Physical Therapist. Still no walking or sitting up or much movement at all and major crying when we move her. She is exhausted at this point but can't sleep. Get to the therapist by 3:00. At this point, I'm a crying wreck ready to take her to a neurologist in Phx. This lady was wonderful with me and with Abs. By 4:00 Abby was sitting up, by 4:15 walking and playing albeit very stiffly, trying not to move her neck. So, the diagnosis? Quite frankly not 100% sure. A guess, she had fallen about 4 weeks ago off of the play cube outside. Although it was only about a 2 foot drop, she twisted weird as she was falling and hit her head on the way down which probably cranked her neck. The injury didn't rear it's ugly head until Thursday, strangely, possibly because she maybe slept weird. Pinched nerve perhaps?
As of today, she is doing leaps and bounds better although she still has crystallized knots in her neck and is still holding her head a little delicately. She is getting lots of baby massages from Mom and Dad, heat compresses and Motrin to work on the swelling and ease the discomfort.
Friday, a day of relief with some major exhaustion on Susie's part. Up every half an hour the night before, moving Abby's head from side to side so she doesn't wake up locked up again. Liv, scared for her baby but off to school and the normal routine.
Great family Friday, For dinner Livi helped me cook from start to finish. She dipped our pork chops in the egg and then the cheesy breading we made, helped make the couscous and the corn. Mommy made the salad. Liv even set the table. It was a beautiful dinner and evening after a hectic week. Also, Friday - 9-11 - Little Sis Tessie's Birthday! Happy B-day little one. She is in NYC for the first time with her college buddies and Buggy, hopefully having the best Birthday ever!
Friday was also a nice day as we got to briefly see my Brother-in-law, Tim before they headed off to Colorado. It was so nice to see him. It reminded me of home, Reno. I actually got a little homesick just seeing him.
And here we are today, Saturday, finally feeling like we can breath. What happened with Abby this week made me think of all of those parents whose children have leukemia or some fatal disease and who have to muscle through while putting on a brave face for their children. I really want to see if I can give some of my time to these little ones and the parents. My Mom's Club Service Project this fall is to do just that, and make easy fleece blankies for the Flag Hospital PICU. What a great Project. I need to get involved. And I will.
And now to the question..."Flagstaff-itis"? (Thanks Kerry). Really, I have grown to love Flagstaff. I have the best friends a girl could ask for here. But, that said, I miss family (and the sicknesses and allergies are not helping me love this place.)
We are lucky that Grammy's, Nana's Papa's, GG'parents, Emo's, Uncles...all make the trek out here to visit us and offer us a much needed hand with the kiddos. I do wish at times we were closer. Am I meant to live in Central Cal? Yes, I think so. Would I be sick less and be rid of allergies? Possibly. Would I be happier being closer to family and loved ones? Of course. But right now isn't the moment for that change. Eventually though, yes. :)
As far as the sickness issue. I think I am going to have a mold specialist come in to check out our musty old cabin for among other things, molds and all other indoor issues. Could we be allergic to something in our home? I think it's a possibility. I feel immediately better when I travel away from here and like clockwork the moment I get back I am a sneezing, hacking mess, kids are sick etc. In Flagstaff's defense, the girls were quite healthy this summer. Both only got sick once Olivia started school. They had mild colds that went away without medications. :) Hooray.
OK, What a lengthy blog for someone who hasn't blogged for months. I am attempting to put together a posting of summer pics. :) Coming Soon, hopefully.
On a side note, our little 5 year old told us at dinner last night that she would like a Baby Brother...all I can say is oh brother.....you want to see me over the edge? That would be the way to the cliff. :) Maybe down the way a brother would be fun but as for now, my plate is full with my little, sweet girls, a great hubby and as of today good health!
Good Health, Love and Happiness to all of you! Sooz
P.S. Tomorrow...it begins...FOOTBALL! Getting the munchies ready for the hubby who needs a zone day of his own. :)




1 comment:
Wow, Sooz! What a scary incident with Abby. I can't imagine what you went through. I'm so glad she is doing better. Your girls are so precious! I'll be keeping you all in my prayers!
Megan
Post a Comment