A couple of on the whim, last minute biz trips to La La Land afforded me the luxury of spending time with my littlest Sister. The ever beautiful, baby of the family, Emo Buggy, aka Chelsea.
It's been 6 years and 3 months since we have had quality one-on-one time together. Kids, Work, Life have interrupted our regularly scheduled Sister Time which we used to cherish (and take for granted). Once those Little's came along, time together has become chaos filled kiddliwink time. So this was a treat.
A chance to be nerds. A chance to go out and eat a nice, quiet meal together where I am not getting up a million times to assist unruly children in a restaurant. It was really bliss.
First stop on my list was this gem...
Father's Office!
I had heard about it from some shi-shi chef on Food Network. The episode was favorite grilled items or some such thing. As I watched them break down this burger my mouth was watering. It's Kobe Beef, Caramelized Onions, Arugula (my favorite green on planet earth), Gruyere, and some secret loving goodness. This is a place where you CANNOT alter your order. Meaning "No onions please" means you will not be served. This Chef mean business. His business apparently.
Let me say that this meal was worth every penny. They served it with hand cut shoestring fry's which we dipped in the most heavenly garlic aioli which if given the opportunity both me and the Bugs would have asked for a pint with a straw. It was THAT good. We washed it down with a delicious brew that Chels suggested called La Fin Du Monde out of Canada. I could have 2 quite frankly.
Chelsea has always loved taking pictures of me stuffing my face. Ever since she was a little tiny girl, anytime she had a camera in hand and I was just getting ready to take the first bite...snap. Not my best look I must say. It's annoying but I guess I'm used to it.
We also ordered some Oatmeal Stout Short Ribs which were also delish but a bit on the heavy side. You really need a side of fluffy rice and a big salad to counter balance but it was wonderful fall off the bone good.
Remember when you go to order at the counter and get it how they make it. You won't be sorry. This is in Santa Monica on Montana but I believe they have another Father's Office in Culver City.
Another gem my Sister introduced me to on my second trip out there was the lovely Joan's on 3rd.
Let me just say Diane Keaton may shop there in Some thing's Gotta Give and Meryl would have owned it in It's Complicated.
It's that kinda cute.
When you walk in you don't want to leave.
They have an amazing bakery, a gourmet deli, fine foods galore and a freezer and fridge section where you can buy their glorious goods to take home and serve to your family and call them your own.
Be sure to go after dark.
It's so festive and precious at night with the white twinkly lights.
To find...3rd St. as the name states. In between Fairfax and La Cienega.
I feel like Gwyneth right now...Goop anyone...how about Soop. :) Get it?
Me neither.
All Business but Happy to be with Each Other.
I'll tell you the best thing about me and Bug is that we have an unspoken, uncanny way of BEING. Meaning we can just laze around together and eat and sleep and watch movies and then get a burst of energy and go window shop and get tired again and go sit at a coffee shop and just BE and we feel those things at the same moments. It's nice to be THAT connected.
We were driving home one day and I spotted this and their are really no two words that are put together more appropriatly than Susie and Cakes.
Put a smile on my face.
My Star Magnet Power was on while I was there and of course I ran into a few character actors.
This girl was in among many movies, Love Actually, one of my faves. We spotted her at Izaka-ya.
Oh and speaking of I almost forgot....
From the Master Sushi Chef/Owner of Katsu-Ya comes Izaka-Ya.
I recommend the 4 and 1/2 roll, the Robert Roll, the Baked Shrimp on Spicy Tuna and the Maguro (tuna) Sushi which was literally melt in your mouth fresh.
Heaven.
This fella has been in MANY movies. What I remember him in is Minority Report, Band of Brothers and remember his stint on Desperate Housewives? He has those steely blue eyes in person, and surprisingly he was in Ross at the Beverly Connection when I saw him. I like me a bargain shopper!
And then I ran into Mark Feurstein at The Grove. HOT DAD ALERT. He had his kiddliwinks with him. One in a bjorn and a little girl. He was cute in person and we walked almost all the way to the parking garage from the Grove within close proximity. He is in that show Royal Pains. Funny enough he just filmed an episode of his show at our friends the Canatta's house on Long Island. Small world.
Buggy, Thanks for taking care of me while I was there. I had a blast with you.
I love you.










2 comments:
Sounds like so much fun!! Next time you're making your way to LA you better let me know!! ;)
you guys are beautiful!!!
so does this make you more excited to possibly move on out this way? 'cause i'd love to hit up some of those yummy looking places with you.
Post a Comment