Monday, November 29, 2010

Adventures in Turkey Baking...

Have I ever told you I have an irrational fear of poultry.
Turkey cooking just ain't my thang.


When it's plucked and naked and cold and laid out before me it freaks me out. Gag.
I also think raw eggs are the most vomitous things I have ever seen.
I have worked through my fear of eggs... unless I'm pregnant.
If I am with child the Hubs does all the egg cracking around these parts.
But now I'm getting way off track.

My 6 year old put it best.
She said, "That thing looks like a dead cat with it's hair pulled out."
I'm with ya sister. Doesn't my girl have a way with words?

Unfortunately for me this was the year where it was me and all me cooking the bird and the fixin's.
We were unable to make the trek home to the Little Korean Mama's for Thanksgiving.


Fortunatly for me I missed it because my two younger Sisters were doing the cooking and by 1:00 they were already knee deep in cocktails so I suppose I was better off. (I kid. This is an UNfortunatly. I know your dinner turned out good T and C. Even though you cooked the bird upside down and it's legs were all flailing about because you forgot to tie it up. I wish I could have been there to enjoy a Thanksgiving cocktail and some laughs. Next year!)


Fortunately I also got a free Bird. If you shopped at Albertson's and spent over a $100 buck they gave you a free Turkey under 15 lbs.


Unfortunately or Fortunately depending on how you see it, they gave me a 20 lb. turkey for free because they ran out of under 15's.
For a family of 4 where 2 members are under 3 feet it's a lot o' bird.

Fortunately I didn't throw up while taking the innards out, especially the neck which may I say was DISGUSTING.


Unfortunately as I pulled it out the Hubs, in typical Man-Child form was making lot's of horse noises. Neighing. Get it? Yeah, he's the typical gross boy. In his defense he did grow up on a horse ranch. But still...


Fortunately I brined it which wasn't in the game plan initially but with how big it was I thought that sucker would need all the seasoning I could give it. So we soaked it in our fancy turkey brining pot that we got at Williams and Sonoma. OK, it was definitely a Jeff Foxworthy brining. "You know your a redneck if you brine your turkey in a cheap cooler." So I guess we are.


Fortunately after what felt like an eternity of cooking the Turkey came out moist and succulent and golden and lovely. And I was proud. I didn't ruin it. Hooray for me. It was a success.


So I want to tell you that I also made a tasty pumpkin cream pie but more importantly, do you see what's behind the pie.


That beautiful, vintage, olive green machine?
Well that is one of the best gifts that has ever been bestowed on me.
It's practically vintage I would think. Years ago my Step-Dad Jim gave me his families Kitchen Aid mixer. Boy has it ever come in handy and with the exception of the coffee maker it is my favorite kitchen gadget.
I think it really is from the 60's or maybe 70's and the color has completely grown on me over the years.
I often wonder who gave it to his Mom. Or did she buy it? And if so what did she pay for it back then?
Well, I hope it works for another 40 years.


Fortunately's and Unfortunately's aside,
We had a nice quiet Thanksgiving, just the 4 of us.
We didn't have a fancy table setting. Simple. We just left everything on the counter and served up plates buffet style, sat down and dove in. Simple. We were all in PJ's all day and it was quite relaxing actually.
I hope your Turkey Day was filled with good eats and full tummy's.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails