Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday....Childhood Shows...random.

OK, so it's Top Ten Tuesday. At least this week it is. I haven't done this forever but today is your lucky day. :)

Top Ten Favorite Shows from my Childhood...
(oh yeah, totally pointless but, ya'll know how much I love the dummy box and as a kid I REALLY loved it.)
My Mom made us watch endless Nova on PBS. Educational...Yes....Like watching paint dry for an 8 year old...you betchya.
Anyway, we still managed to sneak in some of the Faves.
So here ya go....


1. The Facts of Life...."ya take the good, you take the bad. you take them both and their you have"....an awesome tween show. I loved this show. I dreamed that my  family would send me to an all-girls boarding school where I would roller skate with my BFF Tootie and get make-up tips from Blair...a girl could dream.




2. Three's Company. I watched all of these as re-runs. Yes, I was too young to be watching this show, I mean all of the endless sexual innuendos (which I didn't have a clue about). I loved Jack Tripper. The physical comedy just left my young self crying with laughter and Suzanne Somers...don't get me started. She was like a goddess to me. I was so irritated that my Mom named me boring old Susan when she could have named me Suzanne...it had so much more pizazz :) I remember asking my Mom to put my hair in two high pony tails ala' Chrissy Snow's hair. Sadly I have an awful cowlick and when I went to the mirror I was horrified. My pony tails were all cock-eyed with little bits pointing out of like Alfalfa. I think I was expecting my little Amerasian face to somehow magically have blue eyes and those pony tails to be flowing blonde when I looked in that mirror. I looked more like Molly the orphan from Annie. And of course like all good Mother's do as their child is ripping their pony tails out and having an absolute hissy fit, My little Korean Mama.....Laughed. :) Thanks Mom.


3. The Muppet Movie. OK this wasn't a show but it might as well have been as we watched it so many times. We had this giant beast of a machine that played movies. It was before beta. Anyway, my Sister and I watched this movie endlessly and I still love it to this day. I just saw Paul Williams on Yo Gabba Gabba singing the Rainbow Connection and I just about burst into tears. "Why are their so many...songs about rainbows..." sniff, sniff.


4. And while we are on it....Grease. The line that always stands out for me from that entire movie is "Tell me about it... Stud" and then that song....OH Heavens what a terrible line for a little girl to know and repeat and sing. Eek.  I was an Olivia Newton John fan to be sure. Remember Xanadu? Oh how atrocious but awesome.


5. Newhart. I know...strange for a little kid but I loved Bob Newhart. I totally got his humor and the whole show just captivated me. " Hi, I'm Daryl, this is my other brother Daryl and this is our other brother Daryl." It was silly and I loved it.


6. Family Ties. You could not have been a little girl in the early 80's and not been head over heels in love with Michael J. Fox. The Back to the Future franchise. Gosh I miss the 80's.


7. The Cosby Show. I wanted to be a Cosby kid. I loved that family. Every kid I knew watched this show.


8. Cheers. What ever happened to Shelley Long? She was amazing. I wish she was still in the acting game. She was absolutely hysterical on that show. The whole thing was brilliant really. We all wanted to go where everybody knows your name.


9. The Donny and Marie Show. Or any variety show of the time. I loved Carol Burnett, of course. the Sonny and Cher. I am a huge Cher FAN. Big time. I heart Cher. (Did you guys see that guy on Oprah get his dream come true with Cher. It was so funny, and sweet.) Anyway, Donny and Marie always stick out in my head because how cute was Donny and Marie was hysterical. I wish we still had variety shows.


10. The Love Boat. Who didn't want to grow up and be Julie. A Cruise Director....is that a real job? Well anyway, I thought the Love Boat was my dream vacation and my 7 year old self wanted to hang out at the bar with Isaac drinking virgin Pina Colada's all day long. Funny now...I wouldn't be caught dead on a ship or a cruise. Ick. All of those people on one giant floating cesspool of nasty germs. Yikes. Plus I'm not to keen on being ON the ocean, just looking at it.  (and a P.S. on this...do you remember what show followed the Love Boat?....the dreaded and often scary Fantasy Island. That show always terrified me.)

Oh, I just thought of one...a big honorable mention to the Brady Bunch. I watched the re-runs. Loved the Brady's.

The week is slowly eeking by which is awesome. I feel like I'm getting stuff accomplished. Don't you just love slow weeks?
Back to work for me!

Happy Wednesday.

1 comment:

Angie said...

HA! FLASHBACKS!! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails