Monday, May 10, 2010

Coprophobia...A poopy tale.

OK, so this is going to be an odd post.
But here it is...

One of my kids (out of the two) who shall remain nameless, has a fear of her very own poo.
That's right. Scared of Her Poo.
Officially this phobia is called Coprophobia.

Before you start to think this is a serious post, fear not, it's only "sort" of serious, slightly humorous, a bit concerning, and definitly strange.
I kind of get a giggle out of this odd fear. Although I am somewhat concerned she hasn't grown out of this by now.

She absolutely refuses to go number 2 by herself. Of course the Hubs and I refuse to sit in the bathroom with an almost 6 year old every time she needs to do her business.

We are at a loss on this one.
Is this a real deal phobia for her? We haven't a clue.

If we don't hang out in the Loo with her during her BM's she falls apart. Crying, screaming, freaking out, terrified. Quite frankly it's odd.

She will hold it in all day at school just so she won't have to go numero dos alone.
When she finally does go, she looks in the toilet and screams, shrieks, yells. She's scared of her deposit. So strange.

So I asked her today what she's afraid of. She said she's not afraid if it's "moonrocks" she's afraid if it's a BIG ONE.

So being the inventive Mom that I am I tried to woo her into the bathroom with a little ditty I made up to the tune of Yellow Submarine.
It goes a little something like this...

In a toilet...that we know...
Lives a poopy Submarine
It floats around in the water
Sometimes its brown, sometimes it's green.
We all poop out a Poopy Submarine
A Poopy Submarine
A Poopy Submarine
Repeat...

Sorry to the Beatles but I really thought I was quite inventive. The Hubs gave me some turned down eyebrows as I gleefully sang this round after round...and then being the singer that he is, he couldn't help himself, and he joined in harmonizing away, singing of Poopy Submarine's. We like to keep a little toilet  humor in this house. What can I say.

It cracked the kid up. She laughed her psychotic, cracking up laugh and then went straight back into crying when I told her to march her buns back in that bathroom and go poop like a big girl.

At a loss with this one.
Has anyone out there gone through this?
Please tell me I'm not alone.
If I don't get any responses I'm going to be a little concerned.

I'm sure the child in question will be horrified someday when she reads this in a blog book. Sorry kid. I had to send it out into the masses.

How bout' that for a blog post.

6 comments:

Angie said...

OMG!! Your crackin' me up!! Your gone forever and then your first post back is about the Poop Monster!!?! HA!! Oh poor kid! I didn't have this problem with mine but I do have a friend who's child is scared to death to flush the toilet. I'm sure she'll grow out of it soon! In the meantime dab a little coconut oil above your lip and have fun singing!! ;)

Aubrey said...

hmmm.... i'll get back to ya on this one ;)

Ashley said...

Sorry can't help with this one. I have the opposite problem. My girls love poop. They talk about, make songs about, etc. I'd like help with getting rid of my girls "potty" mouth. Literally. Good Luck and let me know how this turns out. :)

Darlene said...

Yes - yes - yes, I've been there with my younger daughter. She was afraid because it sometimes hurt. We read to her, we sang to her (similar tunes that were made up, but not nearly as good as your). It ended up being a phase, albeit a long one. Hang in there. Support her while she's doing her business. A few days, weeks or months will go by and something new will come about. Hang in there!

Loved the title of your post. It reminds me of one I did recently entitled "you haven't seen me naked".

Lin said...

Oi! And very good disguise by putting the kids age in there goof! Very sneaky!

So that's a tough one. What exactly is she afraid of?

I think I would tell her that if she holds it in, the poopy bugs will give her a tummy ache? I'm not sure. I may need to google this and do some research.

Hope you fix the crapophobia, I mean, coprophobia! ;)

Love you,
L

stephanie said...

have you read "everybody poops"?

its a favorite at our house. i think its absolutely hilarious. some conservative moms may find it slightly offensive.

but i sure don't!

Related Posts with Thumbnails