Monday, April 11, 2011

Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?

We all remember the scene from Dumb and Dumber where Lloyd (Jim Carrey) lets out the most annoying sound in the world.


Although funny in film....

not so funny when it's your child at 3 AM.

No matter how cute or fashionable they are.
Night terrors.

I've posted about it before. Same kid. Abbalicious.

It sucks.

Abbsy girl still has them. Not as often as before. Roughly every few months we have one of those moments when I awake to this screaming, screeching, yelling sound.
It's a cross between a really loud car horn, a really loud annoying goose honk and a baby cry rolled in to....
The most annoying sound in the world.

Who me?

But besides being annoying its at times....
Terrifying. Scary. Creepy.
In that "Is my kid possessed?" kinda scary.

My sweet little babe is writhing and she's half there and half not. I'm half there and half not as I have been awakened to a hellish scream.
I look into her little (sort of creepy, glazed) eyes and ask:
 
Do you want water?
NOOOOOOO  she honks.
Do you want to lay down?
NOOOOOOO she screeches.
Do you want me to rock you?
NOOOOOOO she yells.
Do you want a triple fudge sundae with marshmallows and gummi bears?
NOOOOOOO she screams.
And of course now I think she really is possessed.

The shrill endless, inconsolable screech sends my imagination into a dark place.
I think I've watched too many of those scary shows about people being possessed and needing exorcisms. (shiver!)
I was going to post a picture of Linda Blair in The Exorcist but quite frankly it scares me too much so instead here is a drawing of what Abs looks like when she is having night terrors.
From this....



To this... 
There is nothing worse than waking from a dead, REM sleep to this.

Alas, I am used to it. As used to it as you can be. My quarterly awakenings will hopefully end soon. I can't wait for the day she "grows" out of it.

I was a nightmare girl too so this is not some sort of new thing in my family to have a kid with an overactive imagination and a penchant for waking up screaming.
"It is what it is" as we say around here.
And of course as I always say, thank goodness she is so dang cute.

Hoping a peaceful nights rest for you....and me too. :)

1 comment:

beachy keen girl said...

Oh boy that would be scary! I hope she grows out of them too, I'm sure that would be hard to know what to do. Poor little thing...and poor little mommy. Here's to happy sleep for you all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails