Sunday, April 10, 2011

The sky is falling...

And it's raining baby chicks around these parts.

So, I have been a bit on a chicken kick lately.
The idea of being able to pluck fresh eggs out from under hens in the morning was somehow appealing to me.

For me this was somewhat of a "wild hair" or is it "hare" Whatever.


Most of you know, I can barely even eat an egg. Not so big on breakfast foods, eggs being something, that at times, I'm repulsed by. Yes, I said repulsed.

Nevertheless, the cost of eggs these days, the hormones and medicines chickens are given and the fact that I have 2 growing, hungry girls to feed, and one omelet loving Husband, led me to this obsession of having my own chicken coop with free range, healthy, egg laying hens.
So we did it.

And here are the 5 newest members of our family. Everyone got to name there own baby chick....

This happy girl has been dubbed the chicken whisperer. She is as good with animals as her Daddy and the chickens seem to love her the most.

This is Olivia's baby named "Chubby Cups" C.C. is a Buff Orpington. Out of all of our chicks this breed is the calmest and sweetest and loves being held and interacted with.


OK, so as much as Abby loves the chicks she's not super keen on handling them yet, which is fine with me. We put this stuffed duck in there box because my little chick peeps and chirps around the clock. More on her later.

Abs big sis did the honors of posing with her chick for her.
Abby's baby is named "Princess Buttercup" also a Buff Orpington.

Matt's little lady is named "Cleopatra". Notice her beautiful eyeliner and she has an interesting "headdress" marking on the top of her head. She is quite beautiful. She is an Americauna. They lay Easter eggs, meaning different colors.

My little girl is a talker (don't say it, I know. :)) We share the gift of gab to be sure.
I was worried about her last night as every time we would let them be she would start looking around and chirp or peep constantly. And she is vocal and LOUD.
I have named her "Gretyl" after the youngest member of the Von Trapp Family Singers, straight out of the Sound of Music. We read that she may be cold or the runt or any number of things. She reminds me of a fussy little baby who needs extra mothering. Right up my alley. She is also and Americauna.

And to round out the crew we got a Speckled Sussex. This gal is full of piss and vinegar. Not the easiest to hold as she is a wily, wriggly little one. She is the family chicken and due to her feisty personality we have named her
"Molly Brown" after the Unsinkable Molly Brown.

So there you have it. We are now officially chicken owners. It has been fun so far. We hope to have eggs in 6 months. They said 1 a day for each which I think may be a bit ambitious but I'll keep you posted.

And now to think about a chicken coop.
Now if I lived in different type of a house, not of the log variety, I would have something like this...

Is this amazing or what!?!


But alas, this will not go with our house aesthetic. I'll post pictures in a month or so when we have our coop up and running.

6 comments:

Tami N said...

Wow...thats quite an adventure you're taking on! We had chickens, horses and a cow growing up...but for some reason, your little chicks look like more fun than I rememeber as a kid! Good luck and yay for healthy eggs!!

learn oil painting said...

I like your blog!...Daniel

design elements said...

really an adventure! so many lovely images! my kids like them too :-) Just saw your comment that you are a Blue Crash fan...me too! my fav surfing movie is Riding Giants. I think I'm surf addict :-) happy new week!

Farmgirl Paints said...

so jealous. i wanna chick for my chicks;) ha! we love eggs around here. eat them almost everyday. never thought about the hormones etc...yikes! maybe we need a fancy coop and some chickens of our own:)

AiringMyLaundry said...

So cool.

The chicks are adorable.

Hollywood Farm Films said...

I have never been so jealous over a chicken pen in my life!!! Just after we returned to farm life, yet again we are going back to the city!!! This post inspires me to bring the farmwife to our new digs...minus BITCHFACE xxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails