Monday, April 18, 2011

Tyler Florence meet Little Korean Mama

My Little Korean Mama is a foodie...and when I say a foodie I mean a FOODIE!
Besides the fact that she can cook practically anything...really...anything and make it Delish, she is the kind of person who can cook almost any type and style of food to perfection.
She is very talented like that.
Being Korean you would think her speciality would be Korean food.
Although she can cook a mean Korean BBQ where she really excels is on the gourmet front.
I chalk this up to the endless, endless cookbooks she has had over the years.
Cookbooks are her bible.
And...the endless Food network she watches...her televangelists.

Enter Tyler Florence....


Although LKM loves Tyler Florence's boy next door looks and his quick cooking Southern charm she really just loves a good star sighting. Especially when it's one of her beloved Food Network stars and of course because she knows I'm a Tyler admirer. I love a big boy who likes to eat...and the fact that he can cook...well call a doctor and send me to bed. (I just made that up and I haven't a dang clue what it means.)

So the call I get from my Little Korean very excited Mama goes something like this....

Me: Hi Mom where are you?
LKM: Susan I'm in Mill Valley, you know the most expensive zip code in the country.
Me: Yes, Mom you've told me on every trip you ever take to your beloved Mill Valley. Oh and btw, isn't Beverly Hills the most expensive zip code??
LKM: SUSAN! Shut up and listen to me. Guess where I'm at?
Me: OK, are you messing with me...didn't we say Mill Val....
LKM: I'm at Tyler Florence's store. It's amazing. I bought you some glasses and some neat bags and guess what..I met TYLER FLORENCE.

OK, Pause this narration for a moment. You have to use the noggins and stretch those imaginations a bit. My Mom doesn't sound like the typical Korean American. You may be playing this in your head with a bit of an Asian inspired accent. Tis not so people...NOOO. LKM has been a proud American and living in this country since she was all of 19. The accent has all but disappeared and in it's place... well...think of a Jewish Mother with a hint of the tiniest bit of Korean in there. Someday I'll youtube her so you can get the full effect. For now that's your visual...or whatever....

Me: So was he nice? Is he so cute in person? What did he say? What did you say? How exciting.
LKM: Yes, he was very nice. I told him that I have a daughter that lives in Arizona that loves him. He is cute. He looks like a big, friendly, white boy...basically like Matt. (The hubs. Apparently I have a type;) ) Anyway, I got his cookbook for you and he signed it for you. It's your Christmas present. Merry Christmas. (This was like in November...thanks for the surprise Mom.) Anyway, that's all. His wife was there. She looked stuck up. That's all.
Me: OK, thanks for that last tidbit. And the book. And please tell me you got a picture with Tyler because you know I'll blog about it.
LKM: I did.
Me: Love you Mom.
LKM: Love you too Susan.


And so there you have it. My freshly signed copy of Tyler's Cookbook
Stirring the Pot.
His second book is better quite frankly but the fact that he signed my nickname "Sooz" and told me to "Eat Well" (you know I will Tyler.) makes it one of my favorite bibles...I mean...Cookbooks on the shelf.


Thanks Mom.
LKM rolling with the Foodies...should be a rap song. :)
OK, and I have to say this...I may have embellished just a tad during the narration.
A little Ad Libbing as my Swiss cheese brain can't really remember the exact words but it was close. Promise. ;)
I only tell you this because LKM would definitely call me on it.



2 comments:

stephanie said...

that was a fun story. :)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Awesome :)

In answer to the question you left on my blog, I have a Nikon D40. It's just set on Auto, I need to learn about the settings...

Related Posts with Thumbnails