Sunday, March 13, 2011

80's Intervention time...

When I was just a wee lass (OK, being Korean I wasn't a lass per se' more of a spunky little almond eyed child), anywhoo...
My sister and I would spend our Fridays and Saturday Nights at the roller rink.
God Bless King Skate Country.

I have no idea who these people are but apparently they are mocking my childhood.
That said the background is PERFECT!

There, we would skate the endless oval (or is it a circle?) until it was time to either...

A. go to the concession stand and peruse the endless glass cabinet of junk only to rely on my usual red vines and a cherry icee (I know, red dye!!Yikes. If only my 7 year old self knew.)
Or...

B. A "This one goes out to all the lovers out there...a Slow Skate, "  I was like literally 7. Although I would have loved to stay out there and skate to "Lying beside you...here in the dark...." I gladly moved off the rink with all of the rest of the under age set.
Or...

C. The jingle of coin in my Jordache jeans and the pull of that beautiful blinking and beeping light from the arcade called me like a moth to a flame.


Game of choice....
Pac Man...or in later years...Ms. Pac Man.

Oh boy, was I addicted.
I would hike myself up on that carpeted box (ya know, the ones they had for us little ones) 50 cents in, and away I'd go.
Not to toot my own horn but I was good (honk, honk). I mean really, pretty darn good.
I haven't played or really thought about this beloved childhood game until.....


The Hubs downloaded a Free game called "Pac the Man" (yes, weird name change. licensing issue) on to his Mac.
OH  LORD HELP ME.

I have a saying around here that my children can recite to you in there sleep.
It goes like this:
"Too much T.V. and Video Games will turn your brain into...."

And the Little's respond in unison like little robots....
"Mashed Potato's!"

That's right people. I've told my children that too much electronic stimuli will result in immediate mash potato brain.

So as, I sit on Matt's computer for the millionth game of Pac Man today my 3 year old says to me....
"Mommy no mo' Pac Man! Yo bwain tun to Mas Potatos!"
Right.
Currently my Hubs and I are having a Pac Man War that may possibly end in tears and blood shed.
What started out as a little nostalgic trip down arcade memory lane has officially turned into a Pac Man Throw Down.
Intervention needed. HELP US!!

Just in case you would like to start your own useless, mindless, addiction and happen to have a mac....you're welcome and I'm sorry....Pac the Man for Mac

(BTW, My competitive nature and my love for rollerskating can only mean one thing...Roller Derby!)

And last...my dream is to bring back roller skating rinks, complete with black light, those funky blinking lights, the concession stands and old arcade games, and of course THE MUSIC!


OK, and really last....Isn't it amazing that our parents let us go unattended, to a skating rink when we were so young. I started going with my older sister when I was 6. She was all of 9 probably. These days we would never drop our 6 year old off? Wow! Different time people. Isn't it amazing how time has changed us? For the good or the bad? Whose to say. Just different.
Have a lovely week everyone.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

this song and the skating rink bring back such memories!!! i love it!! i remember skating to "i love rock and roll" and thinking i was ssssoooooooooooo cool- practically a teenager ;) and i loved pac man.. especially miss pac man :) ah, the simple days...

stephanie said...

ahhh... the memories...

and you are so right! i can't believe my parents let me go to that pedophilia magnet all by myself. dark lights, loud music, unattended children. times HAVE changed.

Julie F. said...

Roller skating is making a HUGE comeback at some of the older roller rinks that are getting a revival out here. We just went to a birthday party at one last month! (complete with old pipe organ!!!)

I was even asked to join the roller derby, though I declined ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails