Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dinosaur Tracks - Family Road Trip Part 1

OK, so it's been awhile. The Summer has left me completely unable to find a moment to blog.
Until now...
I am sitting here with my 5 year old who still needs me to sit at the end of the bed until she falls asleep...their was no baby wising done in this house...can you tell?

OK, so on with it.
Vacations are few and far between these days but the Hubs pulled in two gigs in Colorado which is practically right up the road from us (OK, like 5 hours up the road) Anyway, we decided that a free hotel room and the idea of being in Telluride and Beaver Creek over the 4th was enough to for us to make the trek. This 4th of July being only our second time together as a family believe it or not.
The musicians schedule means Summers are generally spent on the road and wife and kiddies are left to tend to the home fires so this was a treat, especially for me.

We took so many danged pictures that I am going to break it up by locale as to not bombard you with a million photos so here goes....

First stop on the list Dinosaur Tracks in the Painted Desert (AKA, outside of Tuba City, AZ).

Let me first start by telling you that I am not a desert person in the least. I am just not that fond of that type of landscape, or blazing heat for that matter. That said, the Hubs has ALWAYS wanted to stop at this road side attraction in Navajo Country that allegedly has Dinosaur Tracks. Such a guy thing to do right? A little National Lampoons J Family Vacation to be sure.
So we stop.



Basically you see a pretty basic sign from the road like 2 seconds before the turn.
When you screech into the makeshift parking lot some nice Navajo Gentleman greets you and then proceeds to take you on a "Tour" of the Dino Tracks.
My Husband was immediately mesmerized of course. The young Dino loving boy in him came out and their were lots of "Wow" and "Amazing" tumbling out of his mouth at each new track. Very cute.



I can't remember what these are of. The guy sort of sputtered out that they were some sort of plant eating Dinosaur as the area was marshy and wet back in the day.


Now this one is "Allegedly" of a Velosaraptor. I say allegedly because I was a bit on the fence. Supposedly that middle divot was a claw, and he was running? OK. Anyone who has seen Jurassic Park and remembers the tap, tap of the Raptors claws in that frightening kitchen scene could maybe say, Oh yeah the claw, I see it. But, me always being the skeptic couldn't help to think maybe someone came out late one night and pulled out a dremel and started sanding away.
I know, what a killjoy.



No that is not a real snake next to Liv. She is way into snakes lately. Her latest craze in wild animals. We have gone from Kitty's to Bugs and Spiders, to Skunks and Chipmunks to now Snakes. We found these neat little wooden snakes at this great little Native American shop in Cameron. They have every kitschy thing you could ever want in there. It's pretty awesome I must say. We let the kids each pick out one thing. Olivia chose a snake. Abby chose a purple puppy who she promptly named Purple Puppy...not quite as creative in naming her pets yet. It will come.



My sweet little Baby Dino.


OK, so the Hubs was just fascinated with this "Track" of Dino prints. I don't know if  you can tell but for those of you who are not paleontologists apparently its of a Raptor running. Matt of course found this "amazing". :) So much so that he made me take a picture of him in the "Running Man" pose. And while we are on the subject if you ever want to laugh so hard that you cry or pee your pants ask my Hubs to do the Running Man or the Roger Rabbit. I should really get it on Youtube.



Yeah, I closed up on his fancy move. He is such a nerd. But he's my nerd and by golly I do love him. A cute nerd.  


I have to say that although I am not a desert person this landscape is so unique and peaceful, and throw in a cute two year old, an inquisitive 5 year old and a super excited Husband and by golly it grew on Me.

More than anything it was just so great to be trapped in a car with my 3 favorite people in the world.


Oh, I almost forgot, your admission to view this gem in the desert....FREE.
That said, out of respectfulness you should possibly tip which we did and or buy a piece of handmade jewelry that they are selling. We did that too.

(The song "The Painted Desert" by Natalie Merchant is one of my favorites ever.)

1 comment:

Angie said...

SUCH cute photos!!! Even the one of "your nerd" ;) Glad you guys had such a great time!! I'm off to read the second post to see how the rest of the trip went! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails